Monday, October 08, 2007

Spring/Summer 2008

Every time around this time of the year, runways in THE fashion capitals around the world: New York, London, Milan and Paris will be busy with models sashaying in the latest fashion trends for the coming season.

I absolutely love the Spring/Summer collection because it is so suitable for our lil tropical country and there's just so much more colours. Here's some of my favourites of this season:

Stella McCartney:
I've fallen for this designer ever since I read an article on her in Reader's Digest when I was still in Secondary School. She was still with Chloe then and has not branched out into her own brand. But a few years back, the daughter of the famous Beetle member, Paul McCartney, left Chloe and started her own line, collaborated with Adidas and even has a line of fragrance. She is such an inspiration to me.

Her collection which was shown in Paris, was reminisice of a English Country Garden due to the vertical botanical backdrop. Vogue.com says of her collection: Clothes that we're already longing to wear. I say it's soft, flow-wy, womanly, sexy, 70s inspired. So Stella McCartney's style -wearable, feminine yet very independent - and I love it.


John Galliano:
I first got to heard of him when I learnt that he is the current designer of my favourite brand - Dior - during my 20th century fashion module in Poly days. He is super well-known for his theatrical runway shows and never fail to surprise and entertain the audience with his over the top makeup and elaborate yet gorgeous clothing.

His latest collection shown in Paris, reminds me of a rundown circus with surprises lurking everywhere. His style is immecable and his tailoring is superb. It's obvious his style is of grandeur and more 'haute couture' as compared to Stella's, which is more wearable. But if you look at individual pieces as they are, you'll be surprised how versatile it can be.

As Vogue.com would describe his collection: Fashion has to be fun, flirty, happy and romantic

Anna Sui:

It's a pity that most of the people who heard of her thought she started her makeup line before doing fashion design. Anna Sui, who graduated from Parsons School of Design in NY (I wanna go there to learn too), is one of the most popular Asian designer in New York and around the world. And I absolutely love her latest designs for the Spring/Summer collection because it's something anyone on the streets can wear (if they are more adventurous in their dressing)

I call her designs 'Lollipop' style, because it is young (very suitable for the youth street crowd), punkish yet sweet and cute and so pretty.

Betsy Johnson:

Another accomplished American designer who is already 60 years old! (Can you believe it? Her signature move when her show ends is doing cartwheels on the runway. And for this show, she walked down with her granddaughter!). I remembered Bee Lang, my poly classmate did her fashion project based on this whimsical legendary popular designer. And Betsy Johnson is well known for her whimsical style with what some will call crazy colour clash.

Vogue.com says of her collection: Betsy Johnson goes to Prom! Inspired by proms from the 50s to now, her collection showed the evolution of Prom interpreted by Betsy Johnson. The designs are incredibly crazily beautiful, with clashing colours, huge skirts, flirty swimwear and the music is so suited for the runway show! I wish I was there.

Will blog more collections from some of my favourite designers like Alexander McQueen, Singaporean designer Ashley Isham etc when I find time.

Credits to Vogue.com and click on picture to see bigger version.

I want to live, breathe and eat fashion

No comments: