Thursday, September 20, 2007

Of marriage, babies and sex

Despite me seemingly trying to be a career woman and be super busy, what I really want is to get married, have babies, white picket fence (so american) and be a very free tai-tai so that I've got time to dress up, shopping, go for balls (or gala dinner), do charity, educate my children. I know, this kind of life sounds very boring, but I like being and having free time. Time to explore the world, build new relationships, time to roam around, time to waste.

And I wanna get married early. Before my ovaries expire. Haahaa, sounds so weird right? A girl my age thinking that far. I don't plan to get married in my late 20s and have babies when I'm 30 something and while my child is finally grown up, i am in my 50s. I like my parents' lives timeline. What I don't like is money was always the major issue for conflicts in my family when I'm growing up. My parents got married when my mum was 21 and my dad was 25 and they set up a family soon after. By 26 my mum was done with childbirth and as my siblings and I are either in our 20s or reaching 20, my mum is only 45. She's still considered reasonably young and healthy to go travel. And I want her to be able to free herself from working when she reaches 50.

Such a far-fetched dream. Any financial planner would advise that i'll have to earn alot more before I can provide that kind of lifestyle for my parents. And realistically my chances of getting married and pregnant before 25 is getting lesser and lesser as I grow older and older. Just a blink of an eye, by next year, I'll be a certified 23 yr old, though my 22nd birthday is still not here yet. 2 more years towards my planned retirement. I'm starting to feel a sense of urgency.

Many pregnant women around me these days, think the government may have put something in our water to make everyone so fertile. And for the issue of fertility, i was inspired to write something about it in my blog after chatting with Persis yesterday. Old men goes to Batam or Balai for sex, young men are screwing their underage girlfriends for sex. I think Singaporeans actually have very exciting sex lives, just that people are not telling because we are still a conservative society. I don't judge people for having sex. I just wished people will do it responsibly. And speaking of conservative, I recently realized that there is a law against homosexuality in our Penal code, which is under revision right now. Sex between people of the same sex is apparently illegal in Singapore. Strange eh, despite noticing more 'broken wrists' around?

No comments: