Friday, November 16, 2007

The truth about MLM

No, I am not going to stand out to defend Amway or MLMs or compare pyramid schemes with MLM or brag about how MLM is going to bring you more money.

My colleagues were discussing excitedly about skincare (2 mummies and 1 metrosexual) this morning once I stepped into office. I was observing and overhearing the conversation as my computer starts up. Apparently the male colleague used to work in Nuskin Australia as beauty consultant (staff not distributor), and he was raving how good the products were. Then another mummy was excitedly sharing this dubious online taiwanese brand of products she saw recommended at a popular woman beauty show "nu ren wo zui da". The 'client' was my harmless, curious colleague who is a 2nd time mum to be who is really concerned about the products she puts on her face.

Anyway I met that mum to be in the pantry, after the discussion ended. I casually asked if she is looking for a good exfoliator. Because if she is, I got a good one to recommend. After more probing, she asked me for the site to check out more.

In retrospect, I could be more aggressive to share with her my feelings for the product. Because I really absolutely love Artistry stuff as they are so reliable and affordable (not just because I'm a distributor)

The point I'm trying to bring across is that MLM/Amway is not about selling, but sharing. We share information with each other everyday. Like what food is nice to eat, what movie is nice, what computer to buy. We don't expect the other party to make the same decisions as we do, we merely just want to let them know the existence of an alternative. Same goes with the sharing of products. It's not the method but the mentality.

I came across this friend's blog (let's just name him PJ) PJ just joined an MLM company and from his blog I can see much enthusiasim he has for the business as a starter. Then it struck me. MLM is really becoming more and more common these days. so many companies out there that names I shall not name, they have different business plans, different products, different way of operation. It is really not a taboo, or novelty anymore. it's neither a get rich quick scam nor a pyramid scheme since its legalisation. Even if we are not doing Network marketing, someone we know is definitely in one and may even be raking in big bucks from it. And I'm proud to say I have joined the grandmaster of all MLMs, which is a company that is almost half a century old and going stronger by the minute.

It's pretty much the 1st liner for any MLM. "Ever dream of owning your own business, gaining financial freedom?" Who don't want? Like what Thanet said yesterday, everyone wants to enjoy the fruits of this mean (MLM) but no one likes to do MLM.

A quote from PJ's blog: "Networking: If you want to be a success, you have to get used to frequently hearing the word "no" and ignoring it."

I will be telling the mum to be more about that polishing scrub that I absolutely love over lunch. :)

No comments: