Tuesday, August 14, 2007

机会与条件 Chances & qualifications

Disclaimer: Long entry ahead

How many chances in life do we have in order to make a difference? Will we be qualified for it?

I was once offered a scholarship to go UWA to study commerce. It's a year of scholarship for a 2-year or 3-year course I think. Meaning I still have to pay for accomodation and one more year of school fees. There's also certain criteria to be eligible for that scholarship, to maintain grades good enough to deserve the scholarship during my course of study. If my grades fall, I will have to pay the school fees myself. Because of financial issues and my parents' objections of me going overseas, I did not take up the scholarship

Since graduation, I have changed jobs 4 times and this is my 5th job. Yeah, once I job hop, i usually get better pay. But it wasn't easy for me to get a job, much less a job that I like and pays. I was not fired from my 1st job, but because the project was abandoned, I lost my job overnight, without warning. Suddenly I had to find a job. But I was complacent then. I waited until my ex to enlist (which is a month later) before starting to actively find a job. It took me abt 2 weeks before I find a job. And I was sending out at least 20 resumes each day, but only 4 companies called me for interview. Luckily I was offered another temporary position by a job agency to tide me over then (because I was desperate and money was running super low)

2nd job didn't go so well. Waited to be offered a perm position but due to miscomm, I moved on after I finish my contract with the company. This time I was smarter. With my previous experience of job hunt, I pestered my job agency to get me interviews and I sent my resume thru TP career portal (by then, the poly batch after me was graduating, thus the career fairs all started). I was pretty scared then. I was competing with more pple, not just my batch but a new batch of graduates, who can do the same things as me, maybe less pay. Luckily my grades impressed the HR of TMS and I land myself at TMS, where my colleagues are all university graduates.

From all these job-finding, I realize that qualifications is really important. It opens more doors for you, give u the opportunity to get better pay. I heard (dunno how true this is) in government sector, your salary depends on your qualifications. If you're a degree holder doing the same job as a diploma holder, you will get higher salary.

Meaning, if you want a better chance in life, you need to possess better qualifications right?

Fair or unfair? Fair for those with fantastic academic results, unfair for those who do not have those qualifications. Thus those without academic qualifications look into other areas of expertise, like entrepreneurship or creative industries.

But even with a degree, does not guarantee you a good job. You realize as compared to decades ago when there was only 1 uni (NUS), it was difficult to get a degree then, because supply is less than demand. However now, there's NUS, NTU, SMU, SIM (with so many other university within it), MIS, MDIS, etc etc. Any kind of degree from any universities around the world (heard of wollogong?). Number of degree holders have increased, in addition we have new immigrants from China, India, Indonesia, Vietnam etc. The workforce is over populated with talents. Is there enough jobs in Singapore?

In places like Japan, China or India, almost everyone is a graduate. Even the telephone operator. Will Singapore come to such a state? Very likely. We have heard of graduates being hawker (though i think that's by choice at this stage, not because no choice) or as taxi drivers. Are you scared? I'm very scared. Yeah, I can gain experience as I work, but when it comes to choosing a new graduate as compared to me, a poor diploma holder, I think the young graduate wins hands down, because better qualifications, cheaper labour.

Soon, a new wave of graduates are graduating next year, fighting for the same rice bowl that we have now. Before the IRs open, I don't think there will be enough jobs for all of us. Plus the technology advances, certain jobs will become obsolete (think mama shops? how long will they survive before 7-11 takes over?). And if you have notice, every decade has its economic recession (1988, 1997). Saw Sat's papers and stocks are plummeting. Got to know a young businessman on sat (only 24yr old) and he is predicting there will be an economic recession next year (or rather he hope there is because he wants to make a quick buck by selling his company)

This feels like a Physical Geography paper, but I'm just penning down my views.

My point is not to run out and get a degree now, at least that is not my priority now. Getting a degree is only one form of qualification. It is not the only one (although most singaporeans will think that way). Being able think, behave and operate like a businessman / leader is more important. Skills of being a leader / businessman is not taught in school. There's no textbook to running a business or being a leader (although many self help books claim that. Remember An idiot's guide to entrepreneurship?) It is a misconception that one needs to have alot of capital to own a business. Hello, heard of online business? Zero overheads. That's only one of the many forms of business. Franchising is big business, alot of $ pump into it, but definitely a winning formula (thus the Starbucks and Macdonalds in the world) But how many possess the criteria (and $) to own a franchise?

What I am trying to say it is not what business you do that makes you a leader or a businessman. It is through experience and good habits that cultivate one. I notice a trend from all the successful people I know (meaning people who have their own business and raking in the cash). They are very disciplined, knows how to control their emotions, always a back-up plan, take the shit for a very long time before the cash starts rolling in (could take years). It helps to start the take-the-shit process early. Because it only mean we will succeed early, enjoy more.

So have you started yet? To think about your future? To take the shit? To have backup plan?

No comments: