Monday, July 02, 2007

Experience counts

I suddenly had a revelation after eating the awful soba noodles I was trying to make for myself for lunch. I am really not good at cooking. Neither am I that good in facial or makeup yet. Neither do I exercise or play any sports. That's probably when I have little confidence in doing any of these.

Why are we not confident in things we are not good at? Is it because we are incapable of learning how to do those things or simply we just don't do it enough? I personally know the reason why I can't cook. Because I have not failed enough to know I can cook. I don't do it often enough, haven't burn enough food to deem myself as a bad cook. Maybe there's no such thing as a bad cook, just a lazy cook with lil experience.

Same things apply to being a makeup instructor. Not the certification she graduated with, nor how well-spoken she is. It is how much faces she have done makeup for, how many people she have shared her knowledge with to deem whether or not she is an experience instructor who knows what she is doing.

Pity we're all trapped in this paper-chasing world where only qualifications, certification counts. People look at those, before they look at you and ask about your experiences. End of the day I feel it is through having experiences, both bad and good ones, we learn and grow. Just studying for the sake of studying is just a waste of time

No comments: